First of all, apologies for the lack of updates recently. However, between work, holiday, work, work, and more work, I've not actually done anything kit-wise up until this week. But now things move apace...
I took this week off work to try and catch up on the kit. Prime target for the week is to get the bodywork on. However, first things first, so on Tuesday morning, I finished fitting the rear section of the loom, and bolted the fuel tank down. Following this, I retrieved the bootbox from the roof, and offered it up to the rear of the car. Hmm. No joy. First of all, it didn't seem to want to go forwards enough to fit, and besides, the side 'ears' of GRP were distinctly too big. An ideal break for lunch.
Fortunately, I decided to check Tim's website to see how he was going, and it turned out he'd fitted the tub the day before. Armed with this useful information and a full stomach, it was back to the garage! Unfortunately, it rapidly became obvious that I couldn't hold the GRP and make the necessary measurements at the same time, so that was put on hold until I could find a willing volunteer. Just as well, cos I got dragged into work for the rest of the afternoon...
While in work yesterday, and after reading Tim's diary, I decided to ask the Dax list about the rear tub measurements. Fortunately, Tim went to Dax today (and bought the only exhaust they had - just as I'd decided that I should get the Dax one - 3 week wait for me now...), and measured their demonstrator. So, I grabbed Richard to come and hold the GRP after work. In the meantime, I fitted the steering rack and rods, stripping two bolts in the process. A fair chunk needs taking out the offside engine mount to provide clearance...
I also went to a local tyre place (Ely Tyres) to ask them about wheels, as I've decided the Image ones aren't really worth the vast sums they command. The proprietor there has built a (blue...) Dax Rush Pinto, and put standard Ford fitment 7x16" TSW wheels on, which he says are OK, but don't quite fill the width of the rear arches. However, at about 700 quid for the wheels and Yoko tyres (compared to over 1k for just the Image wheels!) that's hardly an aesthetic disaster. And I'd guess there's no reason why spacers shouldn't be fitted if need be. I think this is the route I'll take - I just need to decide what style to go for (oh no, not another choice!).
Richard duly arrived after work, and within a couple of minutes, I'd marked up the underside of the tub where I needed to make slots for the chassis tubes.
Continued fitting the bootbox, and I think I've got it sorted now. Got one of the side panels down from the roof to see how it fits, and I reckon that there's not much to cut off to fit at all, maybe 10mm max at the very top back. Hopefully, I'll get to do that tomorrow.
This afternoon, I went to the local recycled autoparts place (it's not really a scrappie, as
everything is tested and on the shelves), and got a mini wiper system and starter motor. I'd
gone to get a high-level brake light from something like a Xsara or Rover 200, but they didn't
have any. I also went mad ordering stuff from Europa, and should hopefully have a full set of
Telemetrix instruments and a pair of 4-point aircraft buckle harnesses next week :-)
Also, I've managed to source some rubber boot thingies for the rear calipers (thanks Chris!), so I can finally fit the rear calipers tomorrow too, which means the handbrake should work!
Anyway, I also fitted the rear calipers, and did the cutout on the scuttle to clear the master cylinders. This allowed me to sit all the GRP in place, and take some photos. It was at this point that I noticed that the nearside chassis engine mount bracket actually sticks out from the chassis considerably more than the offside, rubbing on the GRP side. I can grind a lump off the bracket itself, but the chassis bracket is still there...